Whether You are a new or seasoned GIGA user, please carefully read the following. If You have any questions, this policy offers You contact information, below.
You can use The Services in many ways. You can search for information, communicate with other GIGA Users, create Your Content, or opt to share it. When You share your Content with us, for example by creating your account, We can continually improve our tools and services – to show You more relevant materials or projects, to help You connect with like-minded professionals or to make managing and sharing Your Content quicker and easier. As You use The Services, we want You to clearly understand how We may process Your Content and how You can manage and protect its privacy.
- What information we may collect and why we may collect it;
- How we may use and disclose that information;
- The choices we offer, including how to access and update information.
Information GIGA may collect
We collect information to provide better services to all of our users – from letting You choose whether to communicate in English, Chinese or French, to more complex things like which materials You’ll find most useful or the brands which matter most to You.
We may collect information in two ways:
To sign up for an account, We’ll ask for information that may be personal (sometimes defined as Personally Identifiable Information or PII), like your name, email address, telephone number, job title, employer and location. You agree to provide valid and accurate information and have access to functionalities allowing you to update this information to keep it current.
When You join GIGA, as permitted by applicable laws, You are specifically “opting in” in order to receive emails from Us about your account or about GIGA. You can manage your email and notification preferences in your account settings, but note that You cannot “opt out” of receiving certain administrative or legal notices from Us. If you do not want to receive these administrative or legal notices, You should NOT join GIGA or You should immediately close your account. If You exchange messages with others through the Site, in accordance with applicable laws, We may store them in order to process and deliver them, allow You to manage them, and investigate possible wrongdoing in connection with the Site. This is for your protection. GIGA may also enable You to connect, at your initiation, outside the Site and via the email address you provide to third-party providers of products and services who You wish to contact.
Information we collect through your use of The Services
GIGA may collect the following information when You use The Services:
- Information specific to your device (such as your hardware’s make & model, operating system and version, unique device identifiers, mobile network information, or platform information);
- Information about the features You use, the pages You visit, and the sizes and types of files You upload or download;
Details on how You use The Services, such as your search requests;
- Information such as your name and telephone number used to handle software support calls;
- Internet Protocol (IP) address; be it static or dynamic;
- Device events information including crashes, system activities, hardware settings, browser type, browser language, the dates and times of your requests and referral URLs;
- Non-persistent or persistent cookies that may uniquely identify, You, your browser or your account.
- Information about your actual location while using mobile devices. You may choose not to share this specific information within your mobile device settings.
How GIGA may use Your Content
We may use the information we collect from The Services to provide, maintain and improve them, to develop new ones, and to protect GIGA and other users. We may also use this information to offer content tailored uniquely for You.
We may also use this information in combination with certain automated features and processes. For instance, when communicating with You through distribution lists.
When You contact GIGA, we may keep a record of your communication to help troubleshoot and solve any issues You might be facing. We may use your email address to notify You about The Services, such as letting You know about upcoming changes or improvements.
We may use information collected from persistent and non-persistent cookies and other similar technologies to improve your overall user experience and the total quality of The Services. For example, by indicating your language preferences, we can deliver The Services in the language You prefer, each time you connect and without asking You for this preference every time. These are persistent information details kept by GIGA for the sole purpose of making your user experience more convivial and personal.
GIGA processes Your Content on servers in various locations around the world. We may process your personal information on a server located outside the country where You live or use The Services from. At all times, Your Content benefits from the same rigorous protection; notwithstanding its location.
- Race or ethnic origin;
- Political opinions;
- Religious or philosophical beliefs;
- Trade union memberships;
- Genetic or biometric data;
- Health or mortality, or
- Sex life or sexual orientation.
Transparency and choice
The Services use a limited and documented set of persistent ‘cookies’ to give You the best, most relevant user experience. Non-persistent cookies are also used each time you connect to The Services but are automatically deleted when you disconnect from The Services. GIGA strongly recommends You always end a connection to The Services through the “Log Out” process. Closing a browser window does not automatically end your access to The Services. Following the authentication in Origin, the logged-in user is assigned a valid token for a duration of 10 hours. Once the token expires, users will be logged-out and will be requested to re-authenticate. Using The Services means You agree with this. You may set your browser to block all cookies, including cookies associated with The Services, or to indicate when a cookie is being set by Us. However, remember that many of The Services may not work properly if You deny these cookies from being set on your computer.
Subject Access Requests
You can always submit a request to GIGA to ask what information We collect and how We process it. This request should be sent to GIGA’s Data Protection Officer (see below for contact information). When You do, GIGA will provide You with the following information, within 30 days of your request and at no cost to You:
- What personal information pertaining to You is being processed by GIGA;
- Why this information is being processed by GIGA;
- Who has access to this personal information;
- How this personal information is being used in automated processes, and
- What processes are using this information.
Information You share
The Services allow You to share Your Content with other users. Remember that when You share information publicly, it will be available to authenticated and non-authenticated users of Origin. The Services provide You with different options for sharing and removing Your Content. Please check your account settings for these options.
Accessing and updating your personal information
Whenever You use The Services, the goal is to provide You with access to Your Content. If that information is wrong, we strive to give You means to update it quickly or to delete it – unless we have to store that information for legitimate business or legal purposes. When updating Your Content, we may ask You certain questions to verify your identity before we can act on your request.
We may reject requests that are unreasonably repetitive, require disproportionate technical efforts or would constitute a reasonable risk to the privacy of users.
Where We will provide You with information access and update privileges, We will do so at no charge, except where it would require a disproportionate effort and We have agreed on specific fees with You. We strive to maintain The Services in a manner that protects Your Content from accidental or malicious destruction. Therefore, after You delete Your Content from The Services, We may not immediately delete residual copies from our active servers and may not remove Your Content from the backup systems but this residual information, as long as it is with GIGA, will continue to benefit from the same rigorous protection.
Information GIGA may share
We do not share Your Content unless any of the following circumstances apply:
- We may share Your Content with companies, organizations or individuals when We have your explicit, documented and informed consent to do so.
If You are an employee of a GIGA customer, then your company’s account administrators will have access to your GIGA account information (including your email address and other relevant data). Your company’s account administrators may be able to:
- view statistics regarding your account, like statistics regarding applications You installed;
- suspend or terminate your access to your company’s account;
- access or retain information stored as part of your Content;
- receive your account information in order to satisfy local laws, regulations, legal processes or enforceable governmental requests, or
- restrict your ability to delete or edit Your Content or privacy settings.
We will share Your Content if We have a good-faith belief that access, use, preservation or disclosure of the information is reasonably necessary to:
- Comply with any applicable law, regulation, legal process or enforceable governmental request;
- Enforce the Terms and Conditions of Use of The Services, including investigation of potential violations;
- Detect, prevent, or otherwise address fraud, security or technical issues;
- Protect against harm to the rights, property or safety of GIGA, its users or the public, as required by applicable laws.
We may share aggregated, non-personally identifying information publicly. Such information is NOT Your Content as it was ‘’sanitized’’ in a demonstrable way to remove any information that can identify you amongst users. For example, we may publicly share information to demonstrate trends about the general use of The Services.
More details on Third-Parties
GIGA wants You to better understand how it may share Your Content with third-parties we partner with and that may collect or access it. The first step for GIGA in reaching this goal is to let You know which third-parties are involved and what they are used for.
GIGA currently partners with:
- Amazon Web Services
- Where You can find more about this partner: https://aws.amazon.com/
- What We use this partner for: Primary databases and servers used to host The Services.
- Where You can find more about this partner: https://sendgrid.com/
- What We use this partner for: Email services leveraged by The Services to send correspondences to users.
- Google Drive
- Where You can find more about this partner: https://drive.google.com/
- What We use this partner for: We use Google’s suite of applications to create and manage internal documents. Your Content may be added to Google Documents / Sheets.
- Where You can find more about this partner: mail.google.com
- What We use this partner for: Email services used by GIGA for corporate related correspondences through “gigabase.org” domain. We use this service to send and receive corporate emails. Your email may be stored within each of our individual Gmail accounts as a ‘“contact’’. Your email is only stored after You contact GIGA - We do not store emails in Gmail upon registration.
- Microsoft’s Outlook (desktop version)
- Where You can find more about this partner: https://account.microsoft.com/account/outlook
- What We use this partner for: Our staff who use personal computers use Microsoft’s Outlook as their email client. Similar to Gmail, your email may be stored as a “contact’’ within individual Outlook accounts. Your email is only stored after You contact GIGA - We do not store emails in Outlook upon registration.
- Apple’s iMail (desktop version)
- Where You can find more about this partner: https://support.apple.com/guide/mail/welcome/mac
- What We use this partner for: Staff who use Apple computers use iMail on their desktops as their mail client. Similar to Gmail, Outlook, and Pachosting (see below), your email may be stored as a “contact’’ within individual iMail accounts. Your email is only stored after You contact GIGA - We do not store emails in iMail upon registration.
- Where You can find more about this partner: www.pachosting.hk/en
- What We use this partner for: Email services used by GIGA for corporate related correspondences through “giga.build” domain. In China, the “Great Firewall” prevents GIGA from using Gmail services. GIGA’s “@giga.build’’ emails are hosted in Hong Kong to ensure our China colleagues can access their emails. Similar to Gmail, Outlook and iMail, your email may be stored as a "contact’’ within individual accounts. Your email is only stored after You contact GIGA - We do not store emails within Pachosting upon registration.
- Alibaba Cloud
- Where You can find more about this partner: https://www.alibabacloud.com/
What We use this partner for: Web servers and Content Delivery Network (CDN) that proxy The Services for China related traffic.
- Where You can find more about this partner: https://www.zoho.com/
- What We use this partner for: Email services used by GIGA for Origin support related correspondences.
- Where You can find more about this partner: https://www.aha.io/
- What We use this partner for: Aha! is a product management software that helps us plan and manage releases of The Services, including management of bug fixes. Your name may be stored with specific bug or development tickets that you report so We can follow-up with You regarding your ticket.
- Where You can find more about this partner: https://www.atlassian.com/software/jira
- What We use this partner for: Jira is a software development management platform that helps us plan and manage releases of The Services, including management of bug fixes. Your name and email may be stored with specific bug or development tickets that you report so We can follow-up with You regarding your ticket.
Meet our Data Protection Officer!
Not all organizations have to designate a Data Protection Officer, but GIGA chose to. GIGA has appointed an internal data protection officer for You to contact if You have any questions or concerns about GIGA’s policies or practices.
To contact GIGA’s Data Protection Officer, please email: email@example.com
GIGA deploys and enforces technical measures designed to protect Your Content, including:
- Encryption of all modules of The Services;
- We review our information collection, storage and processing practices, including physical security measures, to guard against unauthorized access to systems;
- We grant access to Your Content only to GIGA employees, contractors, third-party partners and agents who have a justified “need to know” and only in order to process it and who are subject to strict confidentiality obligations and may be disciplined or terminated if they fail to meet these obligations.
Account Termination and Data Retention
We follow generally accepted industry standards to protect Your Content, both during transmission and once We received it. However, no methods of transmission over the Internet or via mobile devices, or methods of electronic storage, is 100% secure – so We do not guarantee its security.
Last updated: June 2022